The Memorial Hall was built in 1955/56 and opened on 6 April 1957. It was funded by public subscription, and held in trust 'for the benefit of the inhabitants of the Parish of Salford Priors, in the County of Warwickshire'. The Hall was built in memory of those who gave their lives in the two World Wars: 1914 to 1918 and 1939 to 1945. Trustees from all organisations in the village are represented on the Hall Committee. A major refurbishment was planned in 1998 as the Hall required updating, and was urgently in need of repair. We drew up plans and a budget costing, as well as a business plan, and completed an application for a grant from the National Lottery.
This first application was turned down as it was too costly, and we quickly prepared another set of paperwork with revised drawings and scaled down requirements. Our second application was approved, and we had confirmation from the Community Lottery Fund on 23 May 2001. We received just under £300,000. The extra funding of about £90,000 required was raised locally, and the work completed. The Rededication Service took place on 30 May 2002. More recently, Salford Priors Memorial Hall was awarded a grant from the Heart of England Community Foundation for improving the energy efficiency of the building. The Memorial Hall has recently undergone a refurbishment of the internal decoration and also an upgrade to the heating system.
A more efficient and controllable heating system has been installed, and to improve further the energy efficiency, it was planned to improve the roof insulation to bring it up to current standards. The Management Committee were delighted to receive a Community Energy Warwickshire Grant for this further work from the Heart of England Community Foundation. This will help make the building more pleasant for all the users and provide significant savings in the running costs. It is grants like these that enable community buildings like ours to provide a better facility for residents and users and help to keep running costs to a minimum.